Mold removal refers to removing mold from a house or business. Mold is a fungus that expels microscopic pores into the environment to reproduce. When the spores land in a damp space, they grow and spread quickly.
Where can you find mold?
Mold usually occurs in bathrooms, attics, basements, and kitchens where moisture is common. Sunlight deters mold, while darkness allows it to flourish. Mold is easy to see and has a musty smell.
Dangers of mold
Although mold is common in households, it represents a health hazard for humans. If mold is not dealt with swiftly, it can cause respiratory distress, stuffy noses, and wheezing. It can also damage property since it can cause rot to wood and other materials if left unchecked. When there are signs of mold, you must address it immediately to prevent health concerns or property damage.
Common types of mold
There are many types of mold. The most common types of mold are:
- Alternaria: You find this mold in showers and tubs. It has a velvety dark green or brown texture and can cause asthma-like symptoms.
- Aureobasidium: This type of mold is found behind wallpaper or on painted surfaces. It becomes darker as it ages. It can cause skin and eye infections.
- Black Mold (Stachybotrys): This mold is slimy and can be dark green or black. This mold occurs in cardboard or wood. It is toxic and causes fatigue, depression, and headaches.
- Ulocladium: This mold is also black and commonly found in kitchens, basements, and bathrooms with water damage or condensation. It can cause hay fever and skin infections.
- Pink Mold: This mold is a bacteria found in bathrooms on tiles and in the grout where it feeds on shampoo residue and soap scum. It is harmless but can cause eye infections if it gets into your eyes.
Steps to remove mold
The following steps are used to remove mold:
- You need to identify the cause of the mold. High levels of humidity cause mold. The humidity could be caused by a water leak, leaking roof, cracked pipes, or construction issues.
- You must document the mold problem using videos and photos. You can use this documentation to develop a mold removal plan or identify trends in the mold’s growth.
- Calculate the extent of the contamination. The size of the mold contamination will impact mold removal and clean up afterward.
- Mold removal involves cleaning up the existing mold and preventing new growth by addressing the mold’s cause.
- Determine if the mold removal was successful by ensuring that you have addressed the moisture problem’s cause and that there are no signs of mold or moldy smells.
Although many homeowners attempt to remove mold themselves, getting a professional mold removal company to remove toxic types of mold (such as black mold) is better to avoid unintentional exposure to the mold.